“Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.”
– Anais Nin
I presume someone would ask me: “what is the connection of a friendship quote with website building? ” There is! I have lots of friends using different browsers with different versions and they could tell me if something is wrong with my site and vice versa. Through my site, I have been receiving the gift of new friendships. Those who would give words of encouragements about my site and then criticize me later on when this “feeling of confidence” starts to brew. The more friends you have, the better chances of checking out your site and improving it…so take advantage of them.
If you still remember, I have recommended to test your newly created site with different browsers and platforms. Oftentimes factors like haste or our lack of time to check it would result to a disastrous site beyond our sight! Ask yourself these questions:
- Do Your Pages Look The Same on All Browsers? I don’t think so. The same page seen on each different browser can have a different look.
- Are You Losing Visitors Because Of Broken Pages? Visitors blame the Web site, not the browser
First of all, “What is a browser“?
Your Web browser is a translation device. It’s somewhat like Babelfish, Google’s language tools, etc.
Now when you write your document in HTML, CSS and now there is XHTML, the browser translates it so you can view it as a web page.
The problem is: there are a lot of browsers around! It is like giving 4 human translators (Netscape, Internet explore, Firefox and Opera) a sentence written in Italian and asking them to translate into english. All four will give the same meaning BUT may NOT use the same words, get it??
Therefore, browser display problems can ruin your web pages. Possible causes are:
- Multiple Browsers– Internet Explorer, Opera, FireFox and Netscape.
- Different Browser Versions
- Different Computer Platforms – Windows, Mac, and now Linux.
And to add:
- Screen Size – From 800 x 600 pixels to 1024 x 768.
- HTML Errors – Mistakes that break your page.
- Browser Bugs – Little known errors cause big problems
How are you going to test your Website?
What should testing include?
- HTML validation– this will help you identify HTML coding errors, when it doesn’t follow the correct HTML standard. It is a grammar-checker that understands the rules of HTML. The more valid your HTML coding is, the more people will be able to view it correctly in any browser.
There are free online validation services to use:
- Bad links – check your website for broken or bad links
- Download time – keep your download time for your home page size under 20 seconds, more than that, you will lose half of your visitors.
To check your download time using modem speeds of 14.4k, 28.8k, 56k, ISDN 128K and T1 Link 1.44 Mbps, try –
- Browser compatibility– As I’ve said, ask your net friends what kind of browsers and versions are they using so they could check your site. If you don’t have any net friends, ask your relatives, and colleagues, neighbors to test your site. Ask them to provide you their recommendations on improving your Website, there is nothing wrong with a pinch of humility.
Let’s test our website. It’s important if you want those search engines to find your site, if you want to have visitors who will click your ads hence monetizing your website.
It is important for me to test it because some of my visitors will eventually be my friends and I want my site to bring out “a new world ” in me!
A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway.”
– Fr.Jerome Cummings
Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty”
– Sicilian Proverb
What is a friend? I will tell you…it is someone with whom
you dare to be yourself.”
– Frank Crane
A good friend remembers what we were and sees what we can be.”
Don’t be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can
meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes,
is certain for those who are friends.”
– Richard Bach
A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.”
– Walter Winchell
The only way to have a friend is to be one.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
A friend is someone who is there for you when he’d rather be somewhere else.”
All love that has not friendship for its base,
is like a mansion built upon the sand.”
– Ella Wheeler Wilcox
A mirror reflects a man’s face, but what he is really like
is shown by the kind of friends he chooses.”
– Proverbs 27:19
A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked”. — Bernard Meltzer.
Remember, the greatest gift is not found in a store nor under a tree, but in the hearts of true friends”. –Cindy Lim
Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure”. — Jewish Saying
Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you.”
— Elbert Hubbard
Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure.”
— Jewish saying
What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies”. –Aristotle
Don’t walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don’t walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend”.– Albert Camus
The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend”.– Abraham Lincoln
Hold a true friend with both your hands. — Nigerian Proverb
A faithful friend is the medicine of life”.
Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same”.– Anonymous